Thursday, October 24, 2013

5 Questions with Brad Danho




Bradford Danho, B.M. 2003, studied Music Education at Hartt from 1999-2003.  He is currently living in Baltimore, MD.


What have you been up to since you graduated from Hartt?

After graduating from Hartt in 2003, I began studies in the Jazz program at the University of North Texas.  While at UNT, I studied saxophone with retired professor of saxophone Jim Riggs and held a saxophone teaching assistantship.  I also played lead alto saxophone in the Grammy nominated One O'Clock Lab Band for two years.  

What are you involved with right now?

In 2008, I won a position in the Jazz Ambassadors of the United States Army Field Band from Washington, DC.  The Jazz Ambassadors are a 19 piece big band comprised of all active duty soldiers in the US Army.  We tour 100 days a year in the continental US. 


What is one of your most memorable things about your time at Hartt?


One of my most memorable experiences at Hartt was interacting with Jackie McLean.  I was not a Jazz major at Hartt, so when Professor McLean recognized me for my control of the saxophone, it most certainly left a lasting impression! (and smile).
   

What did you learn during your time at Hartt that you did not appreciate or recognize until after time passed and you had some time to reflect?

One of things I am reflected upon since leaving Hartt is how strong the ear-training program was when I was a student.  I feel very lucky to a have strong aural sense and I have no doubt that the teachings of Gabor Viragh and others helped develop this essential part of musicianship. 


What is next for you?

I truly love my job playing saxophone in the US Army and plan to do so until retirement!  

If you want people to get in touch, how can they do so?

If anyone wants to get in touch with me my email is: bdanho@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment