1936 - Julius Hartt retires as director of The Hartford Musical Foundation and the name of the foundation is changed to The Julius Hartt Musical Foundation in his honor.
1937 - Alfred C. Fuller becomes a member of the Board of Trustees.
1944 - Wagerian baritone, Friedrich Schorr, is appointed chair of Hartt's voice department.
1947 - A.C. Fuller is elected President of The Julius Hartt Musical Foundation.
1948 - Hartt becomes the first independent music school in Connecticut to be granted approval to award the Master of Music degree.
Composer Isadore Freed establishes the Institute of Contemporary American Music (ICAM) at Hartt.
Moshe Paranov conducts the first concert of the rejuvenated Hartford Symphony Orchestra.
1950 - Hartt is voted a full member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
1951 - The Bachelor of Music Education and Master of Music Education degree programs are approved by the State Board of Education.
The Connecticut State Legislature passes an act creating the Hartt College of Music. The non-collegiate junior and adult divisions become the Julius Hartt School of Music.
Dame Myra Hess, distinguished English pianist, performs Beethoven's Piano Concerto in C Minor, Op. 3 with the Hartt Symphony Orchestra at the Bushnell Memorial Hall, contributing her services for the support of the Hartt Building Fund.
1953 - William Schuman, President of the Julliard School, selects Hartt to premiere his first opera The Mighty Casey. Philadelphia Musical Academy awards Moshe Paranov an honorary Doctor of Music degree.
1955 - The Hartt College is approved for membership in the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. It is the first independent school of music in Connecticut to be admitted to membership and the second in New England, the other being the New England Conservatory of Music.